Saturday, June 9, 2007

Score One For Kraft

Kraft foods may have just redeemed themselves. Don't get me wrong, I like Kraft products. I buy Kraft products. I eat Kraft products. However, I don't use Kraft recipes very often. They just don't have enough "flava" for our family, namely, my hubby. He likes lots of flavor in the foods he eats. The more things taste like beef, the more he likes them! Last night when he asked what we were having for supper and I announced salisbury steak, his facial expression said it all. I knew what was coming next....the ole' "I'm not really in the mood for that" statement. That's his way of gently nudging me to make something else, so I went to the kitchen and pulled out my trusty cooking magazines. I decided I would use a meatloaf recipe from the Kraft magazine I had. It sounded pretty good and I had never made meatloaf with these ingredients before. In this house, we love us some meatloaf. Well, we all love it with the exception of my picky 8 year old, who I refuse to cook special meals for! I make traditional meatloaf alot, or I used to, until I found a nice BBQ meatloaf recipe that was the bomb!! Anyway, this Kraft recipe was different and I wanted different.

An hour and fifteen minutes later we sat down to dinner and I was sure hungry! Now, when I use a new recipe, I always wait for the family to take a bite and swallow it before I say anything. I can gauge their like or dislike of the item this way. I'm happy to say that everyone liked it, although I think I liked it best. I was happy, thrilled, elated, you get the picture. FINALLY, a Kraft recipe I can add to my recipe book! It's a keeper and I am already thinking about how good leftovers will be after church on Sunday! I knew I had to share this recipe with you because if you love meatloaf with flavor, then you'll love this meatloaf!

Favorite Meatloaf

1 cup finely chopped onions

1/4 cup Kraft Zesty Italian Reduced Fat Dressing (I didn't have this so I used Kraft Sun Dried Tomato Dressing)

2 lb. extra lean ground beef

3/4 cup ketchup, divided

1 pkg. Stove Top Stuffing Mix (chicken)

1 cup water

2 egg whites

1/2 cup Kraft sharp cheddar cheese

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Cook onions in italian dressing in nonstick skillet on medium heat for 8-10 minutes or until golden brown, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and cool slightly. Combine meat, 1/4 cup ketchup, stuffing mix, water, egg whites, and onions; mix well. Place meat mixture in 13x9 inch baking dish; shape into oval loaf. Spread with remaining ketchup. Bake 55 minutes to 1 hour or until cooked through. Sprinkle with cheese; bake 2 minutes or until cheese is melted. Makes 8 servings.

(Courtesy of Kraft Food & Family magazine 5th anniversary edition)

How funny, while typing the recipe up, I realize I didn't add the cup of water! So, you can use the water or not! I imagine if I had used the water it would have made the stuffing mix soft but I liked the crunchy texture it had. Also, the Sun Dried Tomato dressing is wonderful if you like zesty type stuff. It's not quite as zesty as italian (IMO) but it's really tasty. (Remember, I am pretty much a Ranch or Raspberry Vinaigrette kinda gal so it was a stretch for me to try this new one). I believe the stuffing mix and the onions cooked in the dressing is what made this recipe so tasty. I can't wait to have a crowd over so that I can fix this. It is sure to be a hit.

Score one for Kraft....

 



post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah! I pulled ground beef out last night for meatloaf tonight! I'm gonna use this recipe! I have *everything* I need, too. Isn't the SunDried Tomato Dressing wonderful? We love it around here! I'm so glad you posted this today! Perfect timing! Thank you!!

Jenny said...

I loves me some meatloaf...maybe even better than pizza rolls! lol! I use salsa and green chilis in my meatloaf...

Anonymous said...

We all LOVED this meatloaf! Getting ready to blog about it now! Thanks so much for sharing it with us!!

Mandalyn said...

The meatloaf sounds wonderful!!I'll have to try that one!!

Shawna said...

Sounds good. I get emails for Kraft every month with new recipes. I've tried a couple of main dishes, but I like using their dessert recipes. They have neat ideas for kids.