Friday, August 31, 2007

Randomness

I thought I'd share a few random thoughts with you today since there has been so much going on around our place lately. Our next door neighbor went out of town for the weekend. She left yesterday after work but before leaving asked our oldest to clean out her pool filter leaf basket thingy. Since this needs to be done twice a day, she was nice enough to give us "pool privileges" for the weekend! Yay for us! We never have much of an opportunity to swim so it'll be nice to spend the whole weekend in this baby:

I walked over to the neighbor's house with Logan to clean out the pool filter leaf basket thingy and on my way back, I got quite a surprise. Remember when lightening struck the tree in our backyard? When that happened, a few huge branches in the top of the tree broke but fell over on top of other branches in the tree. They were just kind of resting in the top of the tree....looking dangerous....making me look up every time I went outside.....making me fear for anyone to be in our backyard. Well, no more worrying! On my way back from the neighbor's, the problem was eliminated. Thank goodness I have good ears and heard the cracking noises, which caused me to look up. This happened right in front of me:

My MIL and her sister walked over to our house yesterday evening to bring Caroline home. We were all sitting on the deck chatting it up. Logan was getting ready to feed the cats and as she walked by the deck, she yelled. About a foot in front of her, was another baby snake...this time alive.....and Logan was barefoot! ACK!!! What is it with my house and snakes! My MIL only made it worse by saying "usually when you see babies, there's a mama or nest around". Ok, THANK YOU VERY MUCH! I'll sleep better knowing that! Double ACK!!!

We've watched a couple of good movies lately. The first was a few weeks ago and it was The Shooter with Mark Wahlberg. It's been a few weeks since we watched it so I'm trying to remember all the details I can. Basically, a retired US Army guy is framed for an assassination. He's on the run and all the while is trying to prove his innocence. Crooked politicians, world leaders, etc. I really liked the story line. There was some "shoot em' up" stuff in the movie and I don't remember about the language. All in all, good movie. The other one we watched recently was The Ultimate Gift.

Synopsis: When his wealthy grandfather dies, trust fund baby Jason Stevens anticipates a big inheritance. Instead, his grandfather has devised a crash course on life with twelve tasks – or “gifts” – designed to challenge Jason in improbable ways, sending him on a journey of self-discovery and forcing him to determine what is most important in life: money or happiness.

Loved this movie. I don't remember any language. Lots of really selfish people in the movie that only cared for money and really no regard for anything else. One lady in the film loves younger men but she is such an unimportant character that I chose to ignore the small part she had in the film. There are so many tender moments in the movie and I cried at least three times during this one. The hubster and Logan also cried.

Hubster had a dental mishap this week. He had a crown come off. He isn't really fond of the dentist but he had to go get this fixed. Thankfully, it was a simple fix and was relatively inexpensive.

We're gearing up for the big game tomorrow night. Yes, football season is officially in full swing. YAY! Our beloved Vols play California tomorrow night. They'll be lots of chips, salsa, chocolate dessert, men (my FIL, BIL, two nephews, and the hubs), and of course, UT orange gear! I think I'm making a new rule. If you come to our house on game day, you have to wear Vols colors. Otherwise, get in your car and go home! LOL! We are very excited since football is a big part of our late summer/fall activities. If our Vols aren't playing, we'll pull for just about any SEC team out there.....yes, even the Gators (but don't tell anyone!).

Have a great Friday!



post signature

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Football and a pool! You are going to have a great weekend! We were so worried when Ainge broke his finger, but it sounds like it is not going to be too much of an issue. We will be watching too!

gail@more than a song said...

You will have a fun, long weekend with the pool and football! So glad none of you were in the way of all those branches. And I'm very happy not to have seen another snake picture...ACK is right! What is up with the snakes lately.

Robin Green said...

Wow, what a newsy post--it was great. The pool will be a blast--how fun for your family this weekend. I went to rent Ultimate Gift tonight, but they were out. I will look forward to it though. Oh, and I wish I liked football--or even had a clue what was going on, 'cause everyone makes it sound so wonderful--I guess we would have to get cable to--around here anyway.

Annie said...

Have fun swimming!
Hope there are no more snakes...
I have the ultimate gift sitting on top of the tv. I can't wait to watch it, but it's been there a week... (it was mailed to us from blockbuster's online rentals)...
Anyway, happy weekend!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, fun, pool privileges for the holiday weekend. Enjoy it :)

We're watching football now, and will probably watch some of the TN game tonight. We play you guys next week!!!

We've seen Shooter and really liked it. Other than the "head shots" as I call them and some language, it was a really good movie. We have "Ultimate Gift" in our DVD queue, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Have a great weekend!

Jenny said...

Well, I'm so sorry your Vols didn't pull it out. I did get to see most of the 2nd half, because ABC decided to carry the game. I really wanted y'all to come back. And at least, you didn't get shut out. Ainge did very well with his broke finger, and I hope that the other guy (from MS!) is recovering from his nasty hit!
How's the pool? Looks very inviting.
And, one last thing, I tagged you today, if you want to accept.

Jenny said...

Oh yeah, I'd be on the lookout for that momma snake, too. As bad as I'd want to not think about it, your MIL is telling the truth.

Kat said...

Snakes yuck! Scary!!! At least you get to enjoy the nice pool. I saw the Ultimate Gift and I LOVED it!!!! I also and picking "The Ultimate Life' as my next book club book. I'm glad no one got hurt with the falling branches. That happened at our house and it riped some of our sideing off.

Anonymous said...

Sorry UT didn't win! Hope you had a great time staying cool in the pool though!

Anonymous said...

We watched The Ultimate Gift last night and LOVED it! Thanks for suggesting it! David even picked up Shooter, LOL. He's on his own with that one, though.

Y'all have fun in the pool. But, stay away from all the falling things! Gracious! LOL!

Jill said...

I'm so glad college football is upon us! We found a baby snake this weekend, too. Yikes.

Shawna said...

I'll bet the pool was so much fun! We had a neighbor when I was a teenager that let us watch his pool when he and his wife were gone for a month during the summer! We lived it up! Sounds like you had a pretty great weekend minus the snake!