Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Post-Op Update

I had my post-op visit with the oral surgeon this morning. I didn't actually see him, but his nurse. That was fine by me since I was all about getting out of there as quickly as possible. Anyway, she and I were talking about the numbness I still have on one whole side of my tongue. Now, why is this a big deal you may ask. It's a huge deal because I can only taste food on one side of my mouth. This is tragic! I love food. This week alone, I'm making two new recipes. I made one last night and couldn't even taste it. Such a pity. Later this week, I'm making a new recipe for empanadas and I really want to be able to fully enjoy those. Looks like I'm just out of luck.

You see, anytime they surgically remove your wisdom teeth, there's a possibility that you will have nerve damage. It really depends on how far down they have to go in order to remove the tooth. They make you watch a video about nerve damage and have you sign a release so that you can't hold them liable if you are permanently damaged. Since I had no alternative but to have these two wisdom teeth removed, there's nothing I could have done to prevent their removal or any damage done. I could not leave them. The nurse seemed surprised when I told her I still had numbness and I also explained that my bottom teeth were also still numb. I can't feel them when I brush or eat. It's very strange. She told me that sometimes that is normal. Some people will have numbing for longer periods of time and that slowly the feeling usually returns. She also assured me that they have never had anyone who suffered permanent damage. Great. But I'm a little worried. I don't have tingly sensations. It feels more like a sunburn on my tongue.

As far as everything else is concerned, I'm good. Stitches are gone and I'm healing nicely. I'm very thankful for that. It's pretty amazing that in two weeks time, I'm well on my way to full recovery. Medicine fascinates me in that respect. Now the holidays are approaching and I'm looking forward to that. Thanksgiving is my favorite time of year. There's nothing like turkey, dressing, gravy, mashed potatoes, green bean casserole, pumpkin rolls, and chocolate pie! Oh yeah, and yeast rolls! There's nothing like watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade and football all day long. There's nothing like being surrounded by your family. There's nothing like playing board games until you are so tired you can barely hold your eyes open. I can't wait! I just hope I have working taste buds everywhere!



post signature

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, no! I hope you are fully recovered by then! It would be awful to not fully taste all the holiday goodies. I remember that when I was pregnant with my son, they thought I might have gestational diabetes and that I might have to alter my diet. This was right before Thanksgiving and Christmas, and I couldn't imagine not being able to partake of all that goodness! Thankfully, I didn't have it. I hope your situation will work itself out as well!

Kim of Kim and Jason said...

Taste buds are definitely taken for granted. I joke about enjoying food too much, but your post is a good reminder about what a blessing it is to have them all working properly! I'll be praying that you will be able to enjoy your Thanksgiving meal in its entirety. Thanks for the quick snapshot of the joys of Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

Yes, hopefully you'll be all better in time for yummy Thanksgiving dinner! My favorite meal of the year!

Shawna said...

Oh no! I'll be praying the feeling comes back. I had a different weird thing with mine. I had a skin flap I could lift up over one hole, and it took months to heal. I thought it would never go away. But, it did. I hope everything turns out well.

jenn said...

I hope you are able to fully enjoy your Thanksgiving feast.

I'm glad overall you are healing nicely.

Unknown said...

Oh! I had thought you're getting the taste buds working by now. The holiday is fast approaching and .... okay, I will not torture you with the thought. :D

I hope you'll get it working soon enough. Soon.

Hugs,
ZAM
www.zamejias.blogspot.com