Thursday, January 24, 2008

Asbestos: It's Bad Stuff

I have always heard how bad asbestos is if you're exposed to it. However, I had no idea it caused a serious cancer called mesothelioma . The cancer affects the serous membranes, which surround most of your vital organs. There a several different types of this, the most common being pleural mesothelioma. This type of the cancer attacks the tissue around the lung and many people mistake it for lung cancer. Eighty percent of people diagnosed with mesothelioma have pleural mesothelioma. Currently, there is not a cure for this disease, although surgery, chemotherapy, and radiation therapy are options used to treat it.

I watched a movie recently that dealt with a man who was terminally ill with cancer. I'm not sure if it was this type but the movie was one of the best I've seen in awhile. It reminded me of how hard it must be to internalize this type of diagnosis and how hard it must be (emotionally) for family members who nurse their loved ones during their illness. I'll be reviewing the movie soon so that you might look into it and watch it. I find that learning about these things help me to be a stronger person. I feel like if I ever have to nurse a loved one with this type of disease, I will be better informed and hopefully will handle it with a sweet spirit.



post signature

0 comments: