Monday, March 16, 2009

Back to Work

I was all geared up to buy some sports gifts for my FIL this week.....then MSU had to go and spoil it for me! They beat my Vols yesterday in the championship game. I'm sure I'll get over it in a week or two :-) In the meantime, everything else is going well. I was on spring break from school last week but I'm back in the swing of things this morning. I'm trying to catch up all the homework I didn't do last week. Seriously, who does homework on spring break?

March 12th marked the one year anniversary of my BIL's death. We spent the day recalling many memories of good times we'd had with him. It seems that everywhere we turn, there's a reminder of Mike's life. I am very thankful for that. For the last few years of his life, Mike worked as a carpenter. He had done this on and off all his life. He was very good at it and enjoyed doing this kind of work. The last project he completed before his death was building our deck and screened in porch. He, my hubby, and my FIL spent an entire summer getting it all done and we were all thrilled when they finished. Mike was very proud of the work and we were able to enjoy the deck for a few months before Mike got really sick. Every time I walk out there, I think of him. He was a very unique person and I wish everyone had gotten to know him.

While we miss him greatly, we know that he is with God and suffers no more. The last year of his life, Mike had grown very weak. To know that he is no longer in that state is very comforting. His children are still struggling but I guess that's normal when one looses a parent.

As for everything else, it's going well. Jeff's new job is working out great. He is keeping long hours but we hope that'll calm down once he's been there for a few months. Financially speaking, the job is going to be such a blessing to us. We are hoping to work toward paying our house off over the next few years. My goal is to have us debt free by the time hubby is 43. That's a little more than three years away. If we are able to accomplish that, it'll be a huge relief to us.

Everything else is excellent. We are settling into the new church. We feel very welcomed and loved already. I'm hoping to share more about that in the coming months. This was a change for us but we are learning so much. We have already developed a couple of really strong friendships and can't wait to see what the future holds.

It's finally nice to get back to blogging also. Facebook has been really distracting. There's something about being able to chat with friends that trumps having a blog :-) How about you guys? What's up with you?

3 comments:

Misty said...

sounds like things are well. Death anniversaries can be tough but you have such a great perspective...

Shawna said...

I am so behind with you! New job, new church! FB along with some other things have kept me from blogging! Please send me an email when you get a chance. I want to hear all about the new things going on.

gail@more than a song said...

Oops, sorry bout that MSU thing spoiling your fun! And now the dogs are out of the tournament, tough first draw so I knew it might not go well!