Monday, July 16, 2007

The Family Table

Lori, over at Glass Half Full, has invited us to share our "family table" and I thought it was a wonderful idea!

We are a family that eats supper together every night.We don't have a dining room but our kitchen is sort of divided into two areas. One area is where I cook and the other houses our meal table. The table also serves many other purposes throughout the day. The girls and I use it for school. At any given time, it may be covered with books, crayons, coloring books, or small toys. Jeff also uses the table when giving chanter lessons to his bagpipe students. He also uses it for practice as much as possible since it's just the right height to rest his chanter and arms on.

The table seats 6 but we've had as many as 10 eating Thanksgiving dinner around it. I purchased the table at a Goodwill store in West Virginia while visiting my mother a few years ago. It came with 4 rather flimsy chairs for $75. You see now that it has six chairs that do not match. That's ok with me. The more important thing is what the table represents. We've made many memories at this table whether it be solving tough math problems, learning the answer to a new catechism question, or enjoying a new recipe for supper. We talk about family matters at this table. We laugh at this table. We eat with our friends at this table. We celebrate our Lord at this table. We feast at this table.

I love being at this table with my family. I hope that our children grow up remembering all of the wonderful things that happened around this table. More importantly, I hope that when they have families of their own, they have their own family table that means as much to them as this one does to me.

Have a great Monday!



post signature

16 comments:

Glass Half Full said...

I think dinner time is such a special part of the day. Thanks for sharing!

Lori

Crooked Eyebrow said...

Who knew family tables were so much fun? Thanks for stopping by!

Jill said...

I love the title of your post. You're so right... it's not the table, but what happens at the table, that really counts.

Karen Hossink said...

Your table sounds like a good place to be.

Anonymous said...

I just loved this post! Probably because my table means the world to me and my family, as well. I can totally relate! :o) We eat dinner together every night , as a family, as well. Even when David works until 8pm, we wait and eat when he gets home.

Robin Green said...

Thanks for sharing--that was lovely.

Totallyscrappy said...

Families around the table are special. Matching chairs- not so much. :)
Come see my table. :)

Elizabeth F. said...

Awesome post! It's definitely the idea that the table represents that is more impt than the table itself, although yours is very cute. It reminds me of Friends...if all of the chairs were painted different colors. LOL!

Come on by and check out my Family Table if you'd like.

Kelli said...

What a wonderful post! We have our table in the same spot as yours..just off the kitchen. I had to smile when you talked about seating 10 for Thanksgiving..I've done the same thing!! I just tell people it's going to be extra cozy. :0)
Kelli

Corrie said...

Thank you for sharing your family table! I like the chairs!

Annie said...

Sounds like there is a lot of love at your table Sonya.

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Wonderful post! I love that you guys do this and I just bet your kids will hold very special memories of this when they're all grown-up and look back. Bravo :)

Shawna said...

The darker brown chairs and the size and shape of the table look just like my grandparent's table!

Mandalyn said...

I think that is so great! You are so right --we always worry about how our house looks and forget that what is important is what happens in our house and what memories are made there! My table only sits 6 but we have squeezed about 10 around it as well! My table is scratched, dented, stained and my cat sits in one of the chairs-- so I don't let anyone sit in it before I get the lint brush on it. However, we've made great memories as well! When my husbands family comes over, we use it to play board games!

SAH in Suburbia said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm glad you posted your table pic too. I think the mismatched chairs adds more character!! (At least I hope it does - right?) :-)

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful table! Looks so "homey." Just like I could walk in and feel at home to have dinner there. I love tables like that!!