Wednesday, July 25, 2007

Almost Wordless Wednesday...again

Another almost Wordless Wednesday. I can't help myself with this one. It deserves a little attention. Let me introduce you to "The Brank", also know as the "Iron Bridle" or "Scold's Tongue". Ladies, if this type of device were still in use, I'd be in one most of the time.

In case you can't read the description of the device, it says that it was used to humiliate women who nagged (my specialty) , questioned authority (uh-huh) , or gossiped (check) . This is what I'd look like if it were still used today:

We saw this lovely device at the Pennsylvania Renaissance Fair when we were on vacation in Lancaster County, PA last year. If you're ever up that way, stop in for this. It was worth every penny and we could have spent a whole weekend there. My favorite part is always, always the food! At the fair, we ate some wonderful soup bowls. I had the chili soup bowl and it was out of this world. Mmmmmm, it may have been the highlight of our trip!

Happy WW! For more, go here.



post signature

11 comments:

Lori said...

Oh.My.Goodness! Very interesting.

Happy WW

Shana said...

Oh my Gosh, I am glad times have since changed, cause I, like you, would have had to have one too...*giggle* Happy WW!!!

Jill said...

I'd take a corset over that thing any day. Yikes! Thank goodness for progress.

Annie said...

That is crazy!!!

Monkey Giggles said...

I'd be right there with ya.

MarieY said...

Wow - that is interesting.

Anonymous said...

wow, with that and the chastity belt--women were literally in chains!!

Denise said...

yeah I'm I'd probably end up joining you in that! :)

Anonymous said...

What a contraption! Yikes, LOL!!!

Corrie said...

That is really funny! Although I wish it weren't so, I'm afraid that I would have had to wear this somtimes.

Jenny said...

I've never seen anything like that! How rude! As if the men didn't need one too!!