Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Kitchen Makeover....I Need One

Jenna's post has inspired me to start thinking about how I will make over my kitchen. It needs alot of work. It very useable, it's just outdated and needs some repair. Apparently, the people who lived here before did alot of the work themselves when they did any kind of repair or renovation. As a result, the kitchen floor needs to be totally replaced. I have dark cabinets and want to also do something to spruce them up. I cannot bare the thought of painting them white because the girls are forever putting their messy hands on the walls and other things that show dirt. The thought of having to wipe them down everyday almost gets me. LOL!

The ceilings are all popcorn and I just don't like them. I'd love to scrape them down and make them smooth. I've never done this and it would be so much work. I'm not sure it's something we can tackle on our own. The popcorn texture seems to trap every piece of dust in the house. I do want to replace the lighting with some kichler lighting. There's currently a ceiling fan over the table and a fluorescent light on the cooking side of the kitchen. I want to make it look more elegant but comfortable.

Have any of you come across any Web sites that might help me with this? How about magazines that have good pictures of kitchen makeovers? I am not good at pulling the entire look together and I need some really great resources to help me in this area.



post signature

4 comments:

jenn said...

I would love to re~do my kitchen too. My father~in~law did the lasts renovation himself, and it now has wood paneling, lighter wood flooring (the fake linoleum kind that is coming up in like 10 different places) and even lighter wood cabinets. Add blue countertops, and that's my mess. I hate it. Hopefully in the next few years it can be fixed...I want black and white checkered floor, with white cabinets and a black, swirly countertop. Oh, I could go on and on and on, but I think my comment is long enough.

Shannon @ Gabi's World said...

Your cabinets look very similar to mine except I have a corner one that broke the hinges and we can't find replacement ones. So, I have an exposed area showing my pots and pans. Yuck! I hear ya on the popcorn ceilings. I have to take a broom to mine several times a year to get the dust off. I think it may be worse because of the ceining fan. I wish I had a recommentaion for you as far as websites, but I don't. Hope you find what your looking for soon. Thanks for visiting me!

gail@more than a song said...

I too hear ya on the popcorn ceilings, I DON'T like them! My kitchen had it too (all rooms in my house do) but when we remodeled the kitchen/breakfast room a few years ago the painters scraped down the ceiling, spackled and then painted so I now have a flat ceiling! It was the hugest mess EVER! My cabinets were wood and we painted them white so not sure what to tell you if you don't want to paint them...I love mine. What about a wash of some sort or paint them and then do some kind of distressed finish so they're not solid white? I sent Jenna some pics last night, let me know if you want me to forward the same ones to you!

Jill said...

Since I've recently redone mine, I would recommend Home Depot or Lowe's. Honestly, I'm in the design business and I used Home Depot. It's a one-stop shop and you can see sample of everything. Custom service is terrible, but isn't it bad most places? Glad to hear you don't want to paint your cabinets. They look beautiful! Keep them the way they are. You can install a lighter colored floor for not much money, and light fixtures these days aren't very expensive. And, the cheapest change of all....PAINT!