Friday, December 21, 2007

Ten Years Later.....

Wednesday, Jeff and I celebrated our 10th anniversary. It is so hard to believe that after two months of dating, we were married and have grown stronger and stronger over the past ten years. I expect that it will only get better. Age will only add to the flavor of our marriage, just like a fine wine. God has blessed us every step of the way and I can't imagine being anywhere but where I am at this point in my life.

We went to Outback for supper and had a few hours of wonderful conversation. We reflected on our lives before we met and how miserable we were. I was truly more miserable than I realized because I was not yet a believer in the Lord. We talked about how our marriage started out and how hard it was the first year. Why so hard you might ask? Well, if you've seen Pride & Prejudice, you're familiar with Elizabeth Bennett and how stubborn, independent, and headstrong she is. That would be me :-o) Because Jeff and I both have strong personalities, we used to clash... A Lot! It took a year to get used to each other and for me to learn my role as a wife. Every year since that first one has been wonderful. I wouldn't trade those hard times for anything. The Lord was truly refining me that first year. To know me now, you would never recognize the person I used to be. Jeff and I still have those strong personalities and we clash but now I know exactly how I should react rather than reacting the way the "old me" would.

When it comes to buying gifts, we usually just have the other go pick something out. Jeff is hard to buy for and this solution works great for me! I'm sure he feels much the same. However, this was a special occasion and he took it upon himself to go in search of the perfect gift to mark the event. He first gave me a beautiful photo album with "Our Journey" on the front. I can't wait to fill it with photos of us over the years. I hope I can find some! LOL! We don't usually have pictures together because one of us is usually taking the photos. Anyway, he gave me a second present that I fell in love with instantly. Here it is:

It was so funny and sweet to hear him as I opened the gift. After I opened it, he told me the meaning behind his buying this gift. The necklace is from the Journey Collection and the diamonds start small but become a little larger with each one. There are seven on this pendant and it is just beautiful. The size of the diamonds represent our starting point (with the smallest one) and symbolizes the growth of our marriage over the years (hence the reason each diamond is a little larger). He couldn't have picked a better gift and it is one I will treasure.

I'm already thinking ahead. When my daughters get married, I hope each of them will borrow this to wear during their wedding. It can be their "something borrowed." I have lots of plans for this necklace but for now, I'm going to enjoy it myself! I can't wait for what the next ten years will bring!



post signature

7 comments:

jenn said...

Happy Anniversary! Your gift is beautiful, and even more special because of the thought your hubby put into it. You are blessed.

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful necklace! It sounds like you had a special day. Happy Anniversary!

Jill said...

Happy Anniversary! And may you have many, many more wonderful years together! (and Merry Christmas, too!)

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary. Your husband is such a sweet man. I can't help but feel so happy (I'm suppressing a teenage giggle here) while I was reading the explanation of that necklace. Love it. My hub and I are also working hard on our relationship and I pray we could say that same thing you (gems getting bigger) 10 years from now.

And yes, enjoy your necklace.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Happy Anniversary! This year was 10 years for us too! Yay!

Anonymous said...

Ten years...... that is a long time. Nice to hear that. Happy Anniversary.. to u two. God bless u all the way.

Amberly said...

Happy anniversary! What a special gift. Good thinking about letting your daughters borrow it on their wedding days!