Thursday, January 17, 2008

Thursday Thirteen ~ All About Jane

Since Jane Austen is one of my favorite authors, she is the subject of this Thursday Thirteen. The first four are quotes from JA books or movie adaptations. The rest is biographical information.

  1. “The person, be it gentleman or lady, who has not pleasure in a good novel, must be intolerably stupid.”
  2. “Next to being married, a girl likes to be crossed in love a little now and then.”
  3. "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune, must be in want of a wife."
  4. "I do not want people to be agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them."
  5. Jane's father was a clergyman.
  6. Jane was the seventh of eight children.
  7. The original title of Pride & Prejudice was First Impressions.
  8. Jane's father sent P&P to a publisher who refused to look at the manuscript.
  9. Sense & Sensibility was published first.
  10. Jane was never married.
  11. Jane's closest friend was her only sister, Cassandra.
  12. Jane only became a popular writer after her death in 1817.
  13. She died at age 41 possibly from Addison's disease.
For more TT's, go here.

 



post signature

10 comments:

jenn said...

Very interesting. I am learning so much today!
Happy tt, my friend!

Anonymous said...

She is our favorite. Have you seen the Jane Austen Book Club movie yet???

ellen b. said...

We love Jane Austen at our house too. So much so that for my daughter's graduation gift we took her to Great Britain and followed her, Tolkien, and C.S. Lewis' haunts or places in their books etc. What a marvelous trip. Are you watching the PBS specials on Sunday nights?

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Yay, Jane Austen! One of my favorites too. :)

Anonymous said...

Great TT! I enjoyed reading it!

Judi said...

How cool! I really enjoyed reading this list. I love number 1. ;)

Nicholas said...

I had to read P&P at school, and hated it. Years later I came back to it and read it for pleasure. Such a good book!

Joyful Days said...

I am a latecomer to Jane Austen. I want to read more!

Anonymous said...

Isn't it a pity that she didn't even see how her book flourished in the hearts of people -and get to enjoy the popularity. But anyway, it's a surprise that she remained single all her life - I would have thought she had a colorful lovelife. Heheh. I've seen P&P many times but still I couldn't get enough of it.

storyteller said...

I've always loved Jane Austin's books. A couple of years ago my Book Club revisited a few of them and then read the Jane Austin Book Club about the folks in the retirement home. Unusual, but fun. Nice to review her life in your T-13.
Hugs and blessings,