Friday, May 16, 2008

Savannah: Lady & Sons

The best part of our vacation is always the food. It's all about the food. In fact, you could say that it has become our hobby. I had only one request while we were in Savannah and that was that I be able to eat at Lady & Sons. Being the Food Network junkie I am, I knew I wanted to eat there because no one does butter better than Paula Deen.

If you know anything about Lady & Sons, you know it's not the easiest place to get into. Because Paula has become so famous, her restaurant stays booked ALL....THE.....TIME. It's crazy. I wonder what the locals think of that? Since we arrived Thursday night, I planned to get us out early Friday morning to get in line at Paula's. Yep, you heard me right. Get in line. The restaurant starts taking reservations for lunch and supper at 9:30 each morning. Friday morning, we arrived near the restaurant around 9am and the line was already at least a hundred people deep. We decided to move on and try it another day.

This was what the line looked like at 9:30 on Saturday. Not sure if you can see but it extends well beyond the black car on the street.

Saturday, dh had a bagpipe competition and I knew I'd be on my own that day. I dropped him off around 8:30am and headed directly for Lady & Sons. When I got in line, it was 8:45 and there were about fifty people in front of me. People started to quickly fall in line after I got there. By 9:30, the line was really, really long. I met a nice teacher from KY while passing the time and she shared that she had already done this once before. She raved about the food and I started to feel like standing in line was going to be worth it. After standing in line from 8:45 to 10:00, it was finally my turn to make a reservation. I made it for lunch and then headed out to do some shopping. When my reservation time rolled around, I headed back to Congress Street and waited patiently to sink my teeth into some fine southern cooking. I guess I should note that by 11:00, the restaurant was completely booked for both lunch and supper. My tip for anyone who wants to go and get in to eat is be there at 8:30, bring a book, drink, and preferably, a friend.

It was good y'all. I had the pork barbeque with slaw and jelly roll fries. Before I ate that wonderful plate, they brought out the holy grail of breads....a garlic cheddar biscuit and a cornbread fritter. Oh...my...goodness! It was wonderful. I ate every crumb (remember I told you that I left my WW diet at home). It was worth every minute I stood in line. The restaurant itself was not really fancy. It was family style and the roar of conversation was nice. The wait staff was wonderful. I hate dh missed it. I do plan on taking my MIL and my mom to Savannah and when I do, we'll be standing in line to get some more of this good food.

The table setting, the holy grail of breads, and my awesome pork bbq plate

The restaurant has three floors and a basement floor, which technically makes it four floors. All floors were decorated the same except the main floor had more windows. It was loud, which I liked, and was a fun place to be. The restaurant is connected to Paula's store, The Paula Deen Store. In fact, to get to the waiting area of the restaurant, you have to go through the store (I'm guessing there's a strategy behind that). This area was small and modestly decorated. There was a tv on the wall and, of course, it was tuned to the Food Network.

I was seated on the third floor of the restaurant. I took this right after a bunch of people left so that's why it looks so empty.

The country style buffet, which most people ordered

I loved every second of it and I'll do it again in a heart beat! Is it time to go back?

post signature

Ron Paul 2008

6 comments:

Annie said...

Wow, that looks so good! and worth waiting in line. I would have waited with you :)

jenn said...

My mouth is watering just reading this and looking at the pictures!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

You have just made me exceptionally hungry!

gail@more than a song said...

I'm so glad you got to eat there! How fun, and yes, she's all about the butter but that's why it's so good! I love that you took pictures....I'd heard the lines can get crazy. I would have wanted to go too!

Shawna said...

So awesome!! I wonder what it would be like to work there with all the people?! Mmm! Where was the dessert?

Jill said...

I had no idea you had to stand in line for a reservation. Glad you gave us the scoop!