Thursday, February 19, 2009

Leg Warmers, Converse, and Life

Well, it's official. Our teenage daughter has discovered fashion. I had hoped that the whole fashion scene would pass right by her. For awhile, it worked. Being homeschooled, she doesn't really have to get up each morning and wonder what she's wearing to school. She usually just wears her pajamas and that's perfectly normal around here :-) However, once a week she attends co-op classes and in doing so, has made other teenage friends who are fashion conscious. Great....woo hoo.

Actually, I have to admit, I'm glad she's found her sense of fashion (to some degree). The problem is, it's very scattered. I am drawn to a very classic style. Our teenager......not so much. We hardly ever agree on anything she wants to buy....unless it comes to 80s fashion. I was a teenager in the late 80s and remember leg warmers, big ear rings, big hair, things like these Nooka watches, and parachute paints. The latest thing with her is her desire for a pair of Converse high tops. You remember, the ones that Kareem Abdul-Jabbar wore when he played basketball. I think they're cute. The man of the house hates them.

I am very thankful that so far, these are the hardest issues we've had to deal with as far as parenting goes. Our girls have always been pretty easy to discipline.We never had to deal with back talk or attitude issues. Now that I think about it, that is a HUGE blessing. If fashion is the biggest issue we have, then I can handle that! Now, if I can just convince the hubby that Converse, leg warmers, big hair, and hoop earrings really are cool....... :-)

1 comments:

Sara said...

Really! Count your blessing that fashion is the only thing you have to worry about. You are really blessed.