Wednesday, May 30, 2007

My Sick Baby

My baby is pretty sick this morning. She spent most of the night throwing up and itching to death. We started noticing her weird habits last night and when we looked closer, we noticed that she had raised marks on her belly. After some short research on the internet, we've diagnosed her with having poison ivy. We think she ingested some of it and that's why she's throwing up. She threw up a few times before dinner last night and she's thrown up even more since then. I think some of that is from the shrimp tales we threw in the yard...she apparently ate them all!

This is my baby, Sadie:

So this morning I'll be calling the vet and probably taking my baby to the vet. Last night, the only thing that helped her itching was giving her a good long bath. That seemed to help the itching somewhat but then the throw up marathon started. I'd never heard of a dog getting poison ivy. Most of the time, this wouldn't be an issue because dogs tend to get poison ivy on their fur and pass it on to anyone who pets them. A few weeks ago, I had Sadie shaved down to her ankles because it's getting hot and I usually do this in the summer. I don't want any ticks attaching to her longer hair, etc. It seems that since her hair is shaved off, the poison ivy got directly on her skin OR she ingested most of it and that caused the big marks on her tum-tum. All I know is that this is the strangest thing that has happened to this dog yet.

Not only do I have to contend with the ants that are still in my kitchen, but today I'll add upchuck cleaner to the list. From the look of things, I'll be doing that ALL day long! If any of you have pets, please be aware that they can get poison ivy and if they do get it, it's pure MISERY for them! I hope Sadie will feel better afterwhile. We'll see what the vet says!



post signature

8 comments:

Carrie! :o) said...

Poor Sadie! I sure hope she feels better. I have a special place in my heart for anyone named Sadie (my youngest daughter that's chronically ill) ... so, your Sadie will get lots of prayers from me!

annie said...

Poor Sadie!
Hope she feels better soon!

Lauren@Baseballs&Bows said...

Oh, no! That does not sound fun for either of you. I hope she is better soon!

Corrie said...

Poor girl! That is so strange...I never knew a dog could get poison ivy either! Hope she feels much better soon!

JennaG said...

Poison ivy is so miserable--I wonder if the vet will give her steroids like they do my husband when he gets poison ivy--I'm sure you will be happy when the throwing up stops---yuck! Hope she is well very soon.

Vader's Mom said...

Poor Sadie. Vader's never had that before, but I can't imagaine how I'd deal with him being sick while I'm here by myself. I hope she is feeling better soon!!

Katkat said...

poor pup! I hope she is feeeling better!

LoveMyStarr said...

Poor puppy! Who would think they would get that! Hope she feels better soon!