Saturday, July 28, 2007

Things Are Looking Up

Today I'm feeling a little better after the meltdown I had yesterday. I was so darn irritated at myself for being so wasteful. This morning was a new day and I jumped right into the plans I had! You see, yesterday I observed that the bananas were over ripe. The same bananas that my oldest tells me she'll eat if I'll just buy them. In her defense, she is usually the only one who will faithfully eat them but occasionally she "forgets" about them. Anyway, I noticed that they were about to be gross so I decided I'd find a way to use them before that happened. There's nothing like the smell of gross old bananas in the trash can!

I looked online and found a recipe for banana-oatmeal bread. I thought I'd give it a try since I LOVE oatmeal and Logan likes bananas. Of course I cheated and tasted the batter before baking it. It's just something I do. I can't help myself. I can usually tell whether I'll like what I'm making from the taste of the batter. It smelled pretty yummy while it was baking and it tasted really wonderful! You have to like bananas to like it so if you like them, I'd encourage you to try making this. I was impressed and happy that I found a good recipe to stick in my collection.

I'm feeling better about the issue of our waste. All it takes is a little attention to detail and we can stop doing what we do. The day looked brighter as we munched on that yummy bread! Then, I got an email from Paulette over at Capturing Today informing me that I'd won one of her baking accessories goodie bags! I must have visited 300 blogs during the carnival hosted by Shannon. I am feeling a little tired of my computer right now but I'm sure that'll pass soon enough! After all, I did win a prize! Thanks to Shannon for hosting this cool event and to Paulette for the wonderful gift I'll be receiving! If you haven't visited these ladies, please do so. You will not be sorry.

My day/night couldn't get any better, right? Wrong! To top off my already wonderful day, the hubster took me to my favorite Japanese place, Moto. Mmmmmm! It was so yummy and I had leftovers so you know what that means. Bonus! Lunch tomorrow! I can't wait to gobble it up! After Moto, the hubster took me to Books-A-Million and bought me a book I've wanted for awhile but was too cheap to buy. I'll give you a hint. It's the diary of the owner of Pemberley. I'm tickled pink and can't wait to read it! I am afraid I'm gonna have to put down the book I'm currently reading and dive into this one! He also got me the new issue of Real Simple, which I love!

I'll leave you with a picture of the book I got and also the recipe for the banana-oatmeal bread.

Banana-Oatmeal Bread (from Mr Breakfast)

  • 2 large ripe bananas, mashed
  • 1 cup old-fashioned oats
  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 additional large egg whites
  • 7 TBS veggie oil
  • 1 TBS baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
  • cooking spray to coat pan

Preheat oven to 350. Combine brown sugar, veggie oil, and all eggs in a large bowl; beat well at medium speed with mixer. In a separate bowl, combine banana, oats, and milk; add this mixture to the sugar mixture, beating well. In another bowl, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon; stir with a whisk. Add this to sugar and oats mixture; beat until just moist. Spoon batter into a 9x5 inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 1 hour and 10 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Have a great Saturday!

post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a good day! Congrats on winning a prize, and let us know about the book! If you like it, I will have to pick one up as well!

Jenny said...

I hope you enjoy your new book! Aren't hubbies the best? :) I'm proud of you doing something not to waste your bananas, and you'd be proud of me today. I boiled my tomatoes that we usually sell, peeled them, and put them up for tomato juice for soups and sauces. Yay for me! It was hard work for someone who had never done it before, but I was so proud that I had not wasted them. I didn't let them sit in my windowsill and rot. Way to go, us!!

Jenny said...

Oh, and congratulations on winning those cooking bags!

Jill said...

I didn't get a chance to email you about wasting food yesterday. But, we're guilty of it too, though I've been better the past few months. I'm bad about wasting beverages. The banana bread sounds divine...I love oatmeal, too! And, let me know how you like the book. It's been highly recommended by several people I know. How did you like My Sister's Keeper? It was next on my list so I started reading it the other night and it sounded very familiar. Come to find out, I read it two summers ago when I was pregnant with Adam and spent my weekend days leisurely reading at the pool!

Anonymous said...

Awww, I'm glad you're feeling better today. I know how those sort of things can eat at us some days.

Congratulations on your win! How cool!!

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to hear what you have to say about that book!!

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

Ooh, new books and a hubby to take you to the bookstore, you just can't beat that! I'd love to hear what you think of that one after you finish :)

That banana bread recipe looks good. I make banana bread a lot. Whenever I have bananas that are getting too ripe, I throw them (peel and all) in a gallon ziploc in my freezer. Then, whenever I want to make bread or muffins, I take a few out. You can thaw them at room temp or even put them in the microwave. Warning - it will look gross. All liquidy and gooey and you think, I can't possibly make banana bread with those. But they do just fine, just as good as "fresh" bananas once they've cooked. I've been doing it for years and never had a problem. :)

Have a great day and Happy Reading!!!