Tuesday, August 21, 2007

What's Up Doc?

The girls and I worked out in the garden this evening. We really enjoyed the time out there and it was nice that it had cooled off a bit. A month ago, we were covered up with cucumbers. Sadly, the heat has finally killed the vines and the cucumbers are no more. In fact, the heat has killed alot of what we planted. The okra is doing great and I'm starting to feel like we're being taken over by it now! We are still cutting fresh flowers for inside, although only our zinnias came up this year. The poppies and carnations never even broke open the dirt. None of the tomatoes we planted from seed came up but the three roma plants we planted are doing well. So well, in fact, that tomorrow will be salsa making day.

Romas: (Notice the two tiny onions to the left. None of our onions did well.)

Okra: (Guess what veggie we'll be having with our meatloaf tomorrow? LOL!)

The last picture is what I was really eager to share. It's too funny not to let you see! We planted carrots and this is the one and only carrot that came up. I went ahead and picked it tonight because the leaves were turning brown from all the heat. Let's just say that if Bugs Bunny lived here, this carrot wouldn't even serve as an appetizer for him! It's so tiny! I suppose I'll try and shred it into our salad this week.

If nothing else, this garden has been fun and a real learning experience. I think I need to call up my uncle and get some advice. He can grow anything and grow it well! Maybe he can help me figure out the secret to growing bigger carrots!

 



post signature

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sonya, I am so impressed! I know the drought really hurt you, but I have never grown anything edible. I love okra, so I am a bit jealous! Great job!

gail@more than a song said...

I've never been able to grow much, those tomatoes look good! I bet the salsa will be good but I'd have to save at least one for a tomato sandwich I think.

Kelli said...

Mmm..your tomatoes and okra look great! So does your one lonely carrot! LOL Emily planted carrots this year and they only got to be about an inch long. She still ate them though!
Kelli

Annie said...

I love making salsa! How fun!
My dad has a big garden and only lives about a block away so when I want new potatoes I send the kids down to get a bag full. It's like having a little veggie stand close by. He had lots of potatoes and okra and cucumbers this year too.
I've tried to do gardening but learned that it's easier to visit his. That's terrible huh?
One year we planted broccoli, and it went nuts. We had broccoli everywhere. Maybe I should try that again :O)...

Corrie said...

Yum...nothing like salsa from your garden. Our zinnias did well too! We finally shredded our garden up earlier this week because it had dried up, but we really got a lot out of it at the beginning of the summer! Have fun making salsa!

Jenny said...

I think the drought hurt you worse than you know. My dh uses soaker hoses to water his garden, so we use less water, and it gets where it needs to be. Even with that, the heat burned up our green beans, and pepper plants. We did get tomatoes, but we start those from plants, not seeds. There is always next year.
That carrot is so cute! :)

Stacy at Exceedingly Mundane said...

I think it's so cool that you have a garden and have all of this great stuff! Cucumbers are my favorite out of everything you mentioned. I bet your salsa will be great :) And, let us know about the carrot, poor thing. I bet he tastes great though!!!! :)

Have a wonderful day!

Coach Paulette said...

Oh, we love salsa at our house! My tomatoes were totally destroyed this year by the drought.

I've always heard that carrots grow really well in 5-gallon buckets. They need really loose soil to grow into, and it is easier to keep the soil loose in the bucket than in the ground unless you have some really great garden soil. We're going to try ours this way next year.

Best wishes with the salsa! We're making some today from tomatoes that were given to us from a friend. Later in the week - peach cobbler preserves! Yum!

Jill said...

I'd love to try my hand at a garden but we have no room for one. I manage to kill every flower/plant I ever plant in pots, so I probably wouldn't do very well with a whole garden! The tomatoes look great.

Anonymous said...

LOL at your wee lil' carrot! I should have taken pictures of my wee lil' green peppers. We planted 4 bell pepper plants and all of our peppers came out the size of Levi's foot, LOL. They just stopped growing. I ate a few and they were really good but just sooooooo dinky. I don't think we'll plant them again next year. SOmeone mentioned nighttime temps make the difference in peppers. I dunno but they were freak-showish, LOL.

We got LOADS of roma tomatoes, too! Love your basket of them. Made a great picture!

All of our garden is done producing. The heat last week killed the rest of everything and David already dug it up. Can't wait for next year. We're expanding it, yay!

*carrie* said...

Hooray for gardening--enjoy the fresh produce!

Roma tomatoes are my favorite.

We planted carrots last year, too, and I think our longest one was about 2 inches!

Anonymous said...

These all look so good!! I am hoping to plant a small garden next year. (a little intimidated though)

Shawna said...

I'm so glad some of your veggies came in well! That poor little carrot! You better savor every bite!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

i love to eat okra and planting in the my own garden will be fun..



macintosh new york