Saturday, October 13, 2007

How Fast Will This Thing Go?

Since Monday was Columbus Day, we took a holiday from our studies and drove to Asheville, NC with my friend D. D loaded up five of her six children and came to our house to pick up the girls and I. It's a short drive, only about an hour, and the scenery is just gorgeous. The mountains were so beautiful and some of the leaves had started to turn. We got a little hint of what it'll look like in a couple of weeks when we reach peak season. We arrived in Asheville in just over an hour and headed out to a few local bookstores.

I'm a bookstore kinda gal. I like to peruse the books, check out the comfy chairs they have sitting in various areas throughout the store, and yes, I like to smell the books. There's nothing that smells quite as good as a new book....except new electronics. I digress. We went to a Christian bookstore first so that D's ten year old daughter could spend some of her birthday money. She took some time and picked out some doll clothes for her Elsie doll. After that, we headed to Mr. K's. We have a Mr. K's around here but it's still cool to visit one in another state. We spent about an hour there and Logan and I found a few nice books. Logan found a nice copy of Little Women, one of her favorites. I was thrilled to find a brand new copy of The Exploits and Adventures of Miss Alethea Darcy for only $4. I'm not sure I'll like the book but for $4, I couldn't leave it on the shelf.

We had lunch at a little Chinese place and that was a riot. There was only one waitress in the place and she was waiting tables and running the check out register. When we were there, it was peak time. The poor girl stayed in a dead sprint the entire hour we were there. On top of that, the poor thing had to deal with us. Two moms, seven children, lots of jello and fries on the floor beneath our table. Uh, I'm certain she did a cheer when we were gone!

We headed for home after that, which was even more fun. You see, I'm real nervous in a car unless I'm driving. I'm convinced no one is as safe a driver as I am (obviously I know that's not true but don't pinch me, please). We were in D's fifteen passenger van and that thing is the size of a small country. Suddenly on the interstate, the lanes were much smaller than when I am driving my small car on them. The whole drive back, I gripped my door (as if that would help) and many times I pushed my imaginary break pedal. The deeper into conversation D and I got, the faster she drove. She didn't realize it of course. When we were about halfway home, I finally spoke up and made a joke about how fast she was going. I think I told her I expected us to take flight any minute, or something like that. Thankfully, she wasn't offended at me and she slowed down. We had a good laugh and I told her it would make perfect blog material! Fun times y'all! It was a great day trip and I really enjoyed it so much that I've convinced hubby to take a drive over soon just to see the leaves.

How about you? Are you a nervous driver? Or is it just me? LOL!



post signature

9 comments:

Annie said...

I am notorious for not letting anyone drive but ME! I am just like you, I grip the door and push my fake brake! Scares me so much to be a passenger and I even feel queasy. I always drive. always!
Sounds like a fun trip.

Anonymous said...

I'm a nervous rider, but I'll do just about anything not to drive!!

Sounds like a fun way to spend the day.

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Mm, the smell of books! My favorite too!

And yes, I love to drive, but I'm a terrible passenger.

The All Seeing Eye said...

It must be cool to live on the East Coast when it doesn't very long to drive to another new state. Living in near Dallas, TX, drives anywhere take forever...

gail@more than a song said...

I usually do most of the driving in our family! Haven't been to Asheville before but I think it's about 2 hrs from where I am in Charlotte! Of course I was at the hospital on Monday!

Nancy Face said...

I like my hubby to do the driving because I always get sleepy! But if he goes too fast, I nag at him to slow down! If he gets too close to the car in front of us, I start pushing hard on my fake brake, haha! :D

I'm glad you had such fun! :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like fun! This weather makes me want to head to the Smokies. I bet it was a beautiful drive to Asheville.

Anonymous said...

You are so funny!!! I'm really bad at being a mouthy *backseat driver* ... I'm constantly telling David that the light's green, turn here ... blah, blah, blah ...

Shawna said...

I want to see the Biltmore in Asheville. It's a good 4 hrs from our house. And what a perfect time of year for the trip.

I'm nervous with only certain drivers, and I usually don't know which ones until I'm in the car with them. Beef scares me some with tailgating, and I've just had to learn to close my eyes!