Monday, November 12, 2007

Decisions, Decisions....

Ok, I keep looking at my Kitchen Cabinets and the more I look at them, the more space I realize I need. Cabinets are expensive and if I can salvage these, I'm going to. However, I realize that if I do that, I still need to add a few more cabinets to give me the storage space I need for my countertop appliances. I'm trying to figure out just how to go about this. The first thing I have to consider is price. We are a one income family so price is very important. The second thing I have to consider is construction. I want cabinets that are made well. I hope to purchase cabinets that are all wood. They will be more durable and last much longer than cabinets made from particle board. I also have to consider what type of wood the cabinets are made of. We have walnut cabinets now and they're nice. I like the grain of the wood. If I keep my existing cabinets, I'd need to get walnut cabinets to add on. If I change them all out, I think I'll go with oak. Oak is the most affordable type of wood and it will probably fit our budget best.

If all of these decisions weren't enough, I still have to figure out what color of stain I prefer for new cabinets. Since the stain we have now is dark, I think I will go lighter. I've thought about painting them but I really like the personality that wood cabinets bring to the kitchen. As you can see, there are many decisions to make when planning a kitchen remodel. We will be doing a lot of things to our kitchen including cabinets, countertops, floors, and extending the counter space. Because the average kitchen remodel takes 3 to 6 weeks, it's very important that everything is planned ahead of time. You'll be able to make changes as you go but it will be much easier to do that if you have a well thought out plan. If you're planning a kitchen remodel, plan everything down to what kind of knobs you'll put on your new kitchen cabinets. You'll be glad you did!



post signature

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds like a big job, but exciting too! I have so many things I want to do to my house. Just the other day I said to Amberly, "If you could see my house in my head, it is so beautiful!" :)