Wednesday, November 28, 2007

I Admit It, I'm A Neat Freak

I was browsing the daily questions over at That's My Answer and I couldn't resist one question from today. Here's the question:

If you came to my house for a friendly visit, perhaps a cup of coffee and a game of Scrabble, and noticed that the picture on my wall was crooked, what would you do?

I have to tell on myself here. I am a bit OCD and things like this bug me in my own house. If I were to notice this in the home of someone else, I would most likely just let it go. I would try and forget about it but would probably glance at it several times during the evening. I would not try and fix it unless I were at Jenny's. I'd have no problem straightening it in her house. She just makes a gal feel so welcome that sometimes I think I live there.

My husband loves to play little games with me. I cannot stand to have a rug messed up or a book out of place at home. He loves to walk through the house and flip up a rug or make something crooked. He loves me that way! When I create a mess in the house, I try to make sure it is all in one room. However, once I have a room cleaned, I like it to stay that way. Well, that is impossible because we live in our house! It's crazy for me to think I can keep things perfect and why in the world do I want to? I have no idea but I blame my mother! Growing up, my mom was a real stickler when it came to having a neat home. Even today, she lives alone in a three story house. She currently has six bedrooms (I think the house actually has nine but the bottom floor is used for storage right now). The place is spotless. Every time we've ever been up there, not a crumb in sight. Nothing is out of place, until we get there :-o) So I think I have a valid reason to blame dear ole' mom (love ya mom!).

The past few years, I've really tried to work on this. As long as things are somewhat orderly, I am happy. How about you? Are your habits similar to mine or are you totally opposite?



post signature

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm, I don't know how to classify myself. I, too, grew up in a tidy home, but now I can't stand to clean. Anyway, I just wanted to mention that there's this book shelf in my therapists office that has one crooked shelf. It's been that way for 6 months and every time I go to see him, I want to straighten that shelf. But, I'm in therapy for a reason, you know? I don't want to get up in the middle of a session and straighten his bookshelf for fear he'll classify me as mental and have me committed.

gail@more than a song said...

I might be somewhere between.
Would love to come play Scrabble though!
And I've been known to play that game and move things around at other peoples houses, I did at Stacy's over Thanksgiving!
I'd like to be more organized and tidy myself though but get frustrated and give up most times.

Jenny said...

Girl, I'd reach right up there and straighten that picture up. Then we'd all laugh because I'd managed to make it more crooked!! But, that's just me. If I'm there for a friendly visit with coffee and scrabble, it's enough for me to make myself at home!

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

Oh, I'm the worst of all worlds! I desperately need to have things orderly. I crave order. But I'm terribly disorganized and sloppy. I drive myself crazy.

Shawna said...

I used to kid myself and believe that I was organized. Nope, we're different. Although I do like a clean home. Not that mine is clean:)

Amberly said...

I'm so totally a neat freak too! I think I would have to straighten the picture, but I'd try to do it when the hostess wasn't looking! :)

ZAM said...

Oh God! I'm just thinking about this same post. My hub thinks I'm OCD! Maybe I am (or I was) as I couldn't stand a messy room or something displaced in our room. When my son makes a mess of our things, you can just imagine the wrinkles that appear on my face. But I've lived with it. And I've learned to relax, to take my time to clean up the mess --these days. ;D