Friday, November 2, 2007

Thankfulness and Teeth

I've been laying low this week due to my dental woes. Y'all know I was supposed to go have two wisdom teeth PULLED on Monday. Well, I showed up at the oral surgeon's office and after they did my X-ray and I waited for over 30 minutes, they found that one of the wisdom teeth was impacted and would have to be CUT out. Easy enough, right? No way. They also informed me that I needed to be put to sleep for this dandy of a procedure. Great! They rescheduled my appointment for the following morning and I went home to stress about it.

Tuesday morning, hubby drove me to the office and got me signed in. He then went down the street to Atlanta Bread Company so he could work while I was having this done. I don't remember too much about the procedure other than laying in the chair and getting an iv. I don't remember the sweet assistants taking me and putting me in my car afterwards and I don't remember the hysterical laughter that my hubby says flowed freely from me as we made our way up to our front door. Apparently, I thought our pumpkins out front were realllllllllly funny! What I do remember is waking up hours later with this silly headband thing all around my face. It was holding ice packs on my jaws. Huh, huh. Seems that I wore that out of the surgeon's office, to the pharmacy on the way home, and as I came in the front door for all my neighbors to see. Ah, the humiliation!

My face was the size of a soccer ball and I can't tell you how sore I still am. I have one more wisdom tooth left and I vow that it will never be removed! This is probably the most pain that I've ever experienced and the fact that I have to eat soft food is enough to drive me bonkers. I'm still eating soup but boy am I craving a nice hamburger steak! I'm so eager to chew something that I can barely contain myself. It's been three days since the removal of these teeth and I'm more sore now than the first day. I haven't been able to talk on the phone (which really is a blessing since I don't like to do that anyway), and I've had to be conservative when I do talk. My hubby's convinced that as soon as I'm better, he's going to be bombarded with hours of conversation that I've been "storing up" since Tuesday! LOL!

So, why all of this info? Well, all of this is to express my thankfulness to my family. My hubby has been wonderful and the kids have really pitched in to make sure I am comfortable and have what I need in order to recover. As I read Lauren's post today, it made me think about all they've done for me this week. They do things for me on a daily basis but when I'm down (which isn't often) they really step up and pull things together. That makes things so much easier for me.

I've got a few more days to recover and I hope this weekend I'll be able to get alot of reading done. My google reader is at about 500 so I've got plenty to catch up on! I hope you've had a wonderful week and remember to express your gratitude to those around you. Sometimes it's really nice to hear sweet words of thankfulness.



post signature

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you will be feeling better soon, and I am glad you have such good nurses to take care of you! When I had my wisdom teeth cut out, I slept for three days! My parents had to keep waking me up to make me take medicine and drink. Whatever they used to put me to sleep really did a number on me!

Cammie said...

UGH! I hate dental work! I have had such bad experiences! Hang in there!

jenn said...

I hope your mouth is feeling better soon. At least you know those teeth won't cause you any more pain.
If it were me, I'd milk the kids and hubby for a few more days of recovery!

Shawna said...

They knocked me out, too. I had all four cut out because my jaw was locked. I could barely open my mouth. And I did the laughing thing, too. Plus I puked in my mom's car trying to take the medicine that's supposed to keep you from puking!

I hope you're feeling better. I know it's rough.

ZAM said...

Sounds like you have a great family. It's always a blessing to have family who are caring and loving.

And it sounds like you had a rough time. My dentist trips have always been bearable and that's because I never had a wisdom tooth job.

BTW, I hope you're feeling better my now.

Anonymous said...

Ugh, I feel your pain. I had to be knocked out and had mine surgically removed about 9 years ago. Rey (my husband at the time) had to take 2 weeks off of work to stay and help me(Sadie was a baby still)The scene you painted sounds exactly like mine .... even that strapped on stuff, LOL! Hope you're feeling better by now!