Monday, November 26, 2007

Why I Love Football

I know I probably drive some of you nuts with my football speak. I just love it and get so excited about it. Who wouldn't love SEC football? I mean, did any of you watch my Vols play Kentucky on Saturday? What. A. Game. That's all I can say. It was amazing. It took four overtimes for us to prevail! Our team blew a 17 point halftime lead and by the fourth quarter, I was writing them off. Who blows a lead that big? Somehow we managed to get back into it and I had to sit through all of those overtimes biting my nails. My stomach was hurting and I covered my eyes sometimes. I just knew we were going to get beat. Then big Dan Williams blocks the game winning field goal and our hopes were alive again! It was awesome! If you didn't see it, you missed a great one. It was almost as good as that LSU/Arkansas game last week. The Vols will head to Atlanta this week to take on LSU in the SEC Championship game. LSU is a great team and I hope we can hang with them. I'd love to see another nail biter. I wish I had tickets to that game. That would pretty much make my week!

I hope all you football fans enjoyed your week. I had a good week since my Colts and Cowboys won on Thanksgiving Day. The Vols game topped it all off. This week promises to be just as exciting with our Vols playing for a championship and Dallas playing the Packers this week. The Packers are playing great and you gotta love Brett Favre. He's just a swell guy and looks like he's having so much fun playing the game. I usually pull for them but since they are playing Dallas this week, I'll be cheering for T.O. to put a hurtin' on Green Bay. Hey, you don't have to like him but you do have to applaud his talent.

Did I mention that it is also basketball season? The Lady Vols are ranked #1 and we'll be taking my FIL to watch them play North Carolina this Sunday night. We take him every year for his birthday and I am so glad we started this tradition! Our oldest daughter has started going with us too so it's a fun trip. The Vols mens basketball team is ranked #7 and we are hopeful for their season. We'll take FIL to watch them play in February. While many are out shopping and enjoying their December that way, you'll find me wherever the sports are! That's how we roll in this house! LOL!

I'm going to leave you with a question. Concerning the NFL, how do you feel about excessive celebration penalties? Last night, I was watching the Bengals play and Chad Johnson (Ocho Cinco) did his normal excessive celebration thing. He ran up to a camera and started pretending to film. Harmless. Of course he was flagged for it and his team was penalized. I understand how this could hurt the team if it were a close game but my question is really whether or not players should be flagged for excessive celebration in the first place. I'm remembering how psyched I was while playing a great basketball game or winning a track or cross country meet. You get pretty excited. I can even understand if the players were taunting each other but this is rarely the case in the NFL. Usually it's just a player scoring and then doing an end zone dance or some other little funny. What do you think? Should players be flagged for excessive celebration for end zone dances and other things like that?



post signature

8 comments:

Eden said...

I don't know much about football, but I have friends that watch a whole lot of games! lol Have a great day!

Anonymous said...

It was a fun football weekend. My husband was yelling like crazy during the UT game. He is such a clam guy, so it is funny to see him so excited!

I don't think celebration is bad, but I don't like it when they do celebrations that they have made up ahead of time. Those seem to be done with more of a prideful attitude than plain celebrating because they are excited. I guess I just don't like that example for my son. Just my opinion!

Anonymous said...

I am loving college football this year. I am a Mizzou fan and am so excited about how well they have done. GO TIGERS!!

I think it's ok when a player celebrates in the end zone after a touchdown. CJ can go a little overboard though.

jenn said...

Not a sports fan, but I have something cute for ya! Come see.

gail@more than a song said...

I was sorta excited b/c my Mississippi State bulldogs scored 17 pts in the 4th quarter to beat Ole Miss! A good day for us!

Unknown said...

nice to see another DO FOLLOW blog like my Simple Tricks blog.

Why dont you use the Do FOLLOW Badge which will encourage more commentors..??
DO FOLLOW Badge

Jenny said...

Ok, GREAT football weekend for my household! :) MSU came from behind to beat Ole Miss. (Ole Miss fired their coach, did you see that?! I figure they'll be looking at Houston Nutt. He's never lost to MSU) And Bama lost to Auburn. I hope we're going to a bowl game. It's time!
On to b'ball: my MSU dawgs looked pretty pathetic this past weekend. Granted, they are young, but even my 7th graders know how to pass the bad hard! I didn't get to watch any girls b'ball, but I do love Pat! Hope you enjoy your game, and I'd be right there with ya if I could.
Back to f'ball. I haven't dwelled on the excessive celebration penalty. I mean, if you don't give them, these grown men feel the need to do WHATEVER they feel like doing. Forget that kids are watching. I didn't see anything wrong with the guy turning the camera around, but he is messing with a big ticketed item. I know he probably could afford to replace it, but it's the whole "role model" thing. So, I guess the penalty is OK with me.
T.O. is talented, I just wish he had some humility to go with it. He's rubbing off on Tom Brady, and that's turning my stomach. I thought Brady was OK before, but to hear some of his remarks now that's he's around TO alot, I shake my head. He's not a leader, he's a follower. And I hate that.

ZAM said...

I'm not really much of a football fan (I'm more of a boxing and basketball fan), but I understand that yes, it could get pretty exciting in there. A field or a court always brims of adrenalin and it could get really rowdy. But I'm just not sure about the flagging.