Friday, January 25, 2008

Hospitals, UGH!

Lately, we've spent our fair share of time in hospitals. First, my grandmother fell and broke her arm. She was in the hospital for five days. Yesterday, my MIL had a heart attack. Now, before you get too excited, she is doing well today. She had a blocked artery that they were able to open by inserting a stint. The cardiologist that put in the stint said that this attack was due to her 50+ years of smoking. It was a very serious attack and we hope she will come home and break those bad habits. I've bugged her for years to stop but she's always laughed at me.

While we were at the hospital last night, I started to notice all of the cool modern furniture they have out in the halls. In the waiting rooms, there were just chairs and no real area to lay down and rest. Many people do stay overnight with their loved ones when something like this occurs so I started to wonder, why don't they have a room dedicated for sleep so that those who need to stay nearby can do so in comfort? All I'm asking for is a room with a bed that has a memory foam mattress . That's not too much to ask is it? I think this would get more use than all of that mod furniture in the hallway. I would even be willing to bring my own sheets.

I know I'm only dreaming but I really do wish there was some way to make it more comfortable for people who need to stay with loved ones. My MIL is in ICU so it's not like you can stay back there and sleep in her room. It seems like hospitals spend a big amount of money on things that really don't serve a great purpose. Just think about those people who have loved ones that are in really bad shape. It's natural that they don't want to leave their loved one. So, maybe I'll lobby local hospitals to stop spending money on hallway furniture and invest it in essential comforts for those of us who have to stick around for awhile!



post signature

3 comments:

storyteller said...

I’m sorry to learn about your Grandmother's broken arm and your mother in law's heart attack. I feel for you spending the time in hospitals. Been there & done that too many times myself ... even thought about bringing an airbed a time or two. I'll be remembering all of you in my prayers.
Hugs and blessings,

Joyful Days said...

When my mother was in the ICU the hospital had a hotel attached to it. My father would sleep there at night. (Home was over an hour away.) The rate was not outrageous and then there was no driving and he could be there at a moment's notice.

Prayers for your MIL's recovery & your whole family.

Judy said...

My cousin was in the hospital a coupole of months ago with the same problem as your MIL (and for the same reason... maybe not smoking as long, but a serious smoker nonetheless). He's stopped smoking and is doing well.. but in his room, even in ICU, they had a nice recliner for people who stayed to sleep in. They were pretty comfortable. Maybe the hospital should look into something like that.