Sunday, April 13, 2008

Knives and Spoons and Forks, Oh My!

I have a confession to make. I'm obsessive. There. I've said it. I feel better now that I've got it out. Now, before I get started, let me just say that I know some of these things are crazy. I'm not sure where they came from or why they are big issues to me. I blame my mother (don't we all).

One thing that really bugs me is when someone loads a knife into the dishwasher with the sharp point up. HELLO? That is dangerous and needs to be flipped. Seriously, I have almost cut my finger off unloading a dishwasher loaded this way. I just don't understand why other people don't realize how dangerous it could be. Am I crazy? This has been a big issue around our house lately. Caroline has a terrible habit of just throwing knives in this way. She also can't seem to grasp the concept of loading all of the like silverware together in the same slot. I like to put the spoons in a slot, the forks all together, the knives all together (points down of course), etc. It just makes sense to me. This makes it easier to unload. Again, am I crazy?

A friend recently told me to "get over it" and explained that if I complained about the kids loading the dishes this way, then they may stop voluntarily doing it. That makes perfect sense. Why would they continue to help me if all I do is complain about the way in which they help? I'm constantly telling the girls to work smarter, not harder. I'm trying to teach them ways to make chores easier and less time consuming.....some tricks of the trade if you will. The girls are very helpful and they do a lot around here. I am very thankful for their willingness to pitch in and help when I'm busy, sick, or just plain tired. I couldn't ask for two more helpful daughters. So, I'm working on my complaining. I'm learning to live with the floors that are not swept perfectly and the beds that are half made. I'm even learning to live with the chaos that is our silverware basket in the dishwasher. I've found the perfect solution for that one. Since I don't turn the dishwasher on until last thing each night, I just rearrange all the silverware before I go to bed! Now, if I can only get Caroline to stop throwing candy wrappers under her bed.........



post signature

Ron Paul 2008

6 comments:

Marsha Loftis said...

I learned long ago that there is more than one way to load a dishwasher. I have five children and they all load the thing differently. :) We all obsess about something. I think this is normal, although at times annoying to others. Some people like absolute order, I fall more into the chaos theory.

Joyful Days said...

I've had to work on accepting their best efforts without correction. And somehow working training in later.

Loading the dishwasher correctly/my way is a pet peeve of mine. I'm a little obsessive about it. :P

Julie

Jenny said...

Sheesh-a-moley!! If you stick the sliverware pointy side down, they don't get clean and sanitized properly..didn't you read your instruction manual, dirtbag! And seriously, can't you stop and say to yourself before unloading the dishwasher, "Hey! Look at me, I'm starting to unload the dishwasher...let me check and see if there are any utensils that may injury me and if I find one, let me approach it in such a manner as not to impale myself!" I'm all with you about forks go with forks and spoons with the spoons though! lol!!

For those of you all thinking I'm a spammer...I'm not...I just like to harass Sonya and this was just too good to pass up! Sheesh Sonya, you are so anal! lol!! I will NEVER load your dishwasher when I am over there...don't even ask me! lol!!

Jenny said...

ok this is anal on my part....I typed "sliverware" instead of "silverware"! LOL!!

and by the way...I hate word verification more and more these days...yours is 8 letters long...I hate that. It doesn't even remotely spell something funny...they used to you know...

Anonymous said...

It really is difficult to let things go and let others do it their way. I do like your solution with the knives. You are fixing it without making it a beal deal in front of them. I try not to look at my son's bed. He makes it (he's 6 and it is a bunk bed that is hard to make). It looks AWFUL, so I just turn away...

Shawna said...

I have seriosly never thought to load all the same silverware together. Caroline, I'm with you. If it makes it into the dishwasher, it makes it in.:) The dishwasher isn't one of my pet peeves though. Hubby's pet peeve is loading the bowls the correct way into the dishwasher. I never get it right. There are lots of other areas my hubby could fill you in on about me though.