Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Who Ya Gonna Call? Not Roto-Rooter!

Ok, so the new plumber came last Wednesday. Remember the name Roto Rooter. I know you've heard it before. They sent two guys to our house to look things over. They told hubby that he needed to do some work before they could get started. That work amounted to pulling out the bathroom vanity, sink, medicine cabinet, light fixture, and cutting through the drywall. They wouldn't do any of this because of the liability. I do not understand that to save my life but whatever. I've never known a plumbing company that made you do all of the work for them. LOL! Anyway, we got all of that done and one of the guys came back Thursday. He worked all day long and accomplished nothing. When he left for the day, he left us without a way to access the water at all. Friday he came back and worked all day but again, he accomplished nothing. He told us he'd be back at 9am on Saturday and would bring his boss with him. Again, he left and did not hook anything back up so that we could use the water. We got up early on Saturday and waited patiently for him to arrive. At 11am, some guy we had never seen before came to the door. He took the faucet and said he would return in an hour. At 4pm, we were still sitting here waiting for him to come back. Hubby finally called into the main office and explained the situation. They tried to locate the guys who were working for us and eventually about an hour later, one of the men called us. He was upset because his boss had called and got onto him because of this whole mess. He kept asking hubby what he could do to get our problem fixed so that his boss would get off his back. Hubby told him they were fired and not welcome back to our home. It was a nightmare. The problem still isn't fixed but we did manage to cap off the problem lines so that we could turn our main water back on. We went for ten days without water. It was not a fun experience and I do not wish to try it again. Thank goodness our in-laws live close so we were able to take showers there.

All of the stress from this caused me to hop off the wagon. I ate terribly because I was so frustrated and bored. It's amazing how limited you are without water. Things are finally settling down again and since diet pills aren't an option, it's back to WW recipes. I'm looking forward to it, especially since we were forced to eat out so much while we were without water.

I guess all of this is to say that I'm still in shock over the way these men behaved. The young man who worked on the problem for two days just had no clue of what he was doing. He was not prepared when he came to the house and apparently they don't stock their trucks with tools or parts. The guy used hubby's tools the entire time! We have never had a good experience with plumbers. We probably will never call another one. We'll probably learn to fix things ourselves and deal with the problems as they come. I'm not through with Roto Rooter either. I will be calling the corporate office tomorrow and I'm also reporting them to the Better Business Bureau. I needed a few days to gather their names and phone numbers before turning it over to these places. I honestly don't like to get anyone in trouble but their behavior was totally unprofessional and unacceptable. I would hate for anyone to endure what we had to endure with these guys. We knew we were in trouble when they started asking to use our tools. LOL!

Lesson learned: DO NOT USE ROTO ROOTER!

7 comments:

Joyful Days said...

Oh that is awful.

Glad you posted about that though. I wonder if companies realize the amount of bad press they can get when they treat their blogging customers poorly.

Praying you get some positive outcome!

Jenny said...

Oh, I'm glad you told us that story. Thankfully we've not had any plumbing problems, but I'll be sure to watch for the signs of trouble you've mentioned.
And, yeah, I wonder how they'd react if you were to tell them that you have an internet page where you've told people not to choose roto-rooter because of this experience. It would be interesting to know.

Jenny said...

sheesh-a-moley! I should have told you to hire the guys we use...the N'Sync plumbers...they're brothers and look a lot like Lance Bass before he came out of the closet! lol!! Very, very nice guys and did a great job...sorry that I'm just now remembering...sigh...

Anonymous said...

That sounds horrible! I can't believe they treated you that way. I can't even imagine being without water for that long!

Shawna said...

I just hate that! Sounds like kind of what happened to us last year when we got our carpets cleaned and they left huge stains. We did report them to the BBB,and they cleaned our carpets again for free. But, of course, we won't do business with them again.

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about your terrible experience. ICK!

gail@more than a song said...

Ugh, that is NO fun! And too long to go without water....I hope you can get something resolved when you get them reported.