Friday, October 17, 2008

Wanted: Yummy Recipes

We've been on a real salad kick recently. One night a week, that's all we have for supper. I make this huge bowl of spring mix greens, fresh strawberries, mandarin oranges, dried cranberries, grilled chicken, feta cheese, and the most important ingredient, candied pecans. We were buying pecans at the store but decided we'd try our hand at making them at home. The first batch I made were pretty good but not restaurant quality. I rolled the pecans in egg white and then a sugar/cinnamon mixture and baked them. Good, but not as good as O'Charleys (they have my favorite candied pecans). This week, we decided to try another recipe to see if we could capture the flavor we were looking for. Jeff made them this time by first baking the pecans, letting them cool, and then boiling the sugar/cinnamon mixture. After it was boiled, he coated the pecans with the mixture and laid them out to cool. Again, they were good but not what we were looking for.

Rather than looking through tons of recipes, I'm wondering if you've made them. If so, would you care to share your recipe? These things are so good that people eat them as snacks at Christmastime. I'm also looking for homemade egg nog recipes so if you've got one of those, pass it my way. I'm planning to have both of these and would love to perfect the recipes by the time December rolls around. I'm also wondering if you could make a pecan pie out of candied pecans. Have you tried it?

2 comments:

Lynne Campbell said...

I've a good one for you.

I make up recipies and this is one of our favorite that we make every week.

1 package of cold slaw mix with the carrots in it.

2 apples (sweet) chopped
(drizzle lemon juice on them to keep them from turning.

2 fresh peaches chopped....
Make sure they are not too ripe.

1 large can of mandrin oranges--drained.

1/2 cup chopped pecans

1/3 to 1/2 jar of Kraft Rasberry vinegarette dressing....Light

Mix it all up and yummy.

You can do all apples if peaches aren't in season or leave off the nuts.

We love this....it keeps for several days.

Thanks for visiting my blog....

Hope you will come again.
Lynne

Unknown said...

another fast and easy recipe is
12 sausages
2 onions
1 tomatoe
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1 potato boiled and cut into pieces

mix and fry them all add some salt to taste

its just yumm

herbal store