Monday, January 26, 2009

Life....Interrupted

Well, it's official. I am a college student...for the second time in my life. When hubby and I married eleven years ago, I was attending a local college. We decided that I should withdraw from school for the upcoming semester since we had no idea what the first few months of marriage would be like. I was disappointed at the time but quickly got over it as my role at home became more real to me. Hubby and I always knew that one of these days, when the girls were older and time allowed, I would go back to complete my degree.

So here I am a little more than eleven years later. My focus and desires have totally changed. In my previous college years, I bounced from a sociology major to elementary education. This time around, I thought I should try on a different hat. I want to do something that will allow lots of flexibility. I do not desire a full-time job and don't want anything to interfere with our homeschooling. I am fully committed to my role as wife and mother first. As I looked around for professions that catered to these things, nursing was the obvious choice. The local community college has a two year program that, if all goes well, will give me RN certification. However, I'll add an extra year so that I can take pre-nursing classes at a slower pace. I have it all worked out in my head and pray that God will bless my efforts. In the long term, I hope to use these nursing skills to minister to hospice patients and do missions work both in the US and abroad.

This semester, I'm simply taking a math class. This summer, I'll take two courses and see how that goes. One of the classes will be online....maybe both. I'm eager to get these pre-nursing classes out of the way so that I can concentrate on entering the nursing program next fall. I'll have to work hard to earn a spot in the program and that's exactly what I intend to do. I know at least three friends who are doing this same thing so I have plenty of help and support to lean on. I know I'll be learning a lot of things and I'm looking forward to the challenge. Technology is always advancing in the medical field so it will be interesting to learn about the latest gadgets, like the shoulder pain pump, that prove helpful to patients.

When my grandfather was dying from bladder/lung cancer, he was fortunate enough to have a wonderful family friend as his nurse. In his last days, she came all the way from her home in Charlottesville, VA and cared for him. I remember how gentle she was and how she really made my grandfather feel special. That touched me more than I ever told her. In this same way, I hope to be a blessing to patients who are living out their last days. I pray that God will bless these people through me. I pray that when these people look at me, they will see Christ. I pray that we will be Jesus to one another and will glorify Him in word and deed.

4 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

Congratulations! Wow, big changes, hope you have a good time with it!

I've missed being around and blogging, my blog has been down a few weeks and hope it'll get fixed soon!

Misty said...

Good for you! So wonderful... So brave!

Sara said...

I think that is a wonderful choice for you...I know when a friend of mine passed away in Jonesborough - we had the most wonderful hospice nurses...I will forever be grateful to them...and when it comes time for my mom - we will use hospice again here in NH.

Sara said...

I think that is a wonderful choice for you...I know when a friend of mine passed away in Jonesborough - we had the most wonderful hospice nurses...I will forever be grateful to them...and when it comes time for my mom - we will use hospice again here in NH.