Tuesday, January 27, 2009

A Perfect Day?

Have you ever had a perfect day? I'm talking about a day when everything fell into place and just flowed smoothly without any other distractions?

I started thinking about this a few days ago. Lately, I've been catching up with many old friends via Facebook. At first, I thought FB would be a waste of time. What I found was that many people had been reconnected there and that the people you thought were lost were suddenly found.

Growing up, I was a very social person. In fact, that was the only reason I got up and went to high school every morning. I had lots of friends and was involved in a lot of sporting activities. I think it is fair to say that I was popular because of sports. I had friends who were just my friends because we were involved in things together but then I had friends who were REALLY friends. There's a huge difference :-) I guess I thought my high school years would last forever and that those friends would always be within walking distance of my house. Boy was I mistaken.

Life has taken me only an hour or so away from my hometown. It's still very reasonable to drive home and visit friends......but I rarely have done so in the past. I'm glad to be reconnecting with friends though because I plan to make many trips home to catch up with them in person. And all of this brings me back to my perfect day question and story.

I believe I did have a perfect day once. I was hanging out with a friend. It was cold out and we decided to take a drive over the mountain. As we drove, we talked about all sorts of things (our conversations always flow so easily). As we drove across the mountain, it started to lightly slow. By the time we had gone a few more miles, everything around us started to turn white. I remember thinking how perfect everything looked. It was a scene straight out of a magazine. It was beautiful. Breathtaking even. And here we were....best friends, sharing in this perfect scene. I remember rolling down the window and sticking my hand out. I wanted to feel the snow....to make sure that this day was real. I remember that I didn't want the day to end. I wanted to freeze it and replay it over and over. It was like everything in the world was absolutely perfect for those few hours.

I think about that day often. I think about that friend even more.

I pray for more days like that one.

2 comments:

Misty said...

beautiful... truly beautiful. I totally understand.

Annie said...

It does sound like a perfect day. It's hard to have a whole day that's perfect... I can have a great morning or afternoon and something happens to make it less perfect, but being the pollyanna I am I always play the glad game :)

I've loved being on fb too and have connected with tons of people. It's so cool!