Monday, January 19, 2009

Mission Organization: Wish Me Luck!

I'm really trying to resist the urge but I want new office furniture. I have a desk with a hutch on it and I've come to the conclusion that the hutch only makes me more messy. Well, at least my desk is more messy with the hutch. See, my ten year old uses my desk most of the time since my desktop computer is there. I haven't used that thing in ages because I have a laptop. It has just become a messy disaster that I can't deal with anymore. I need organization too though. I'm wondering if some sort of wall organizational shelving would help.

I'm on a mission to simplify. I've always tried to be as simple as possible but over the years I've realized I have "stored up" too much junk. When you homeschool, you have a tendency to compile lots of free curriculum helps...which means lots of extra papers to store! A few months ago, we were visiting friends and we happened into their garage for some reason. As I walked into the center of the garage, I heard angelic singing. Along the walls of the garage were countless clear storage tubs. They were neatly stacked and you could see the contents of each container. I wanted to hug the containers.....it was such a beautiful sight! That's what I want to look around my house and see. I want neat spaces and for everything to have a home.

I'm hoping to stick to my plan this time. I want to knock out one room at a time and get this stuff in order. There are a few changes taking place around our house and these changes are going to require me to be more organized than I've ever been in my life (details to come in a week or so). If you have helpful suggestions, I'd love to hear them. A lot of this is common sense and I know I will have to mess around to see what works best for us. My biggest challenge will be to keep my youngest daughter in line. She's the one who loves to collect empty boxes and cram them full of stuff under her bed :-)

I'll try to update as I accomplish specific tasks and share what has worked for us. If you don't hear from me for a few days, not to worry. I'm just buried under all the junk!

3 comments:

Doodlebug said...

Okay dirtbag. Why are you not blogging about and entering the giveaway????

Nessa said...

i'll be watching this mission with interest.......i need to do the same and so far nothing has really worked for me.

Gooooooood Luck :)

gail@more than a song said...

I've been trying to do this and got sidetracked over the holidays, now I'd like to do more but have a hard time with it! I accumulate too much stuff!