Saturday, January 3, 2009

My Birthday Fun

Last week for my birthday, hubby gave me the night off. Since I didn't have to cook and the girls were planning on a night on the town with daddy, I took off and drove an hour to my hometown. It just so happened that my old high school was hosting a basketball tournament and our high school boys were playing in the championship game that night. I was excited about seeing the game and was hoping to catch up with an old friend beforehand.

The drive seemed really short and I arrived well before game time. I decided to drop in on my old friend while she was at work. She seemed pleasantly surprised to see me and we spent a few hours catching up. It had been at least fifteen years since I had seen her. She told me all about her life; her job, her children, and her recent engagement. Then I noticed that she had on one of the biggest honkin' engagement rings I'd ever seen! I was, and still am, very excited for her. I hung around until she got off and then we jumped in my car and drove to her sister's house to surprise her. Again, it was a nice reunion with another old friend. The time seemed to fly by and it was time for me to head to the ball game. We said our goodbyes and promised to keep in touch. I hope we make good on our promise.

The game was great and we won! What a perfect birthday present! As an added bonus, I saw several more old friends at the game and was able to have more than a few conversations. I even had time to chat with my old basketball/cross-country/track coach. Since he was like a father to me growing up, it was nice to catch up with what was going on in his life. I can't wait to go back and do it all again.

One thing that did make me very sad was the decline of the town. It looks so run down and lifeless. I also found out that my high school will most likely be consolidated in a couple of years. I hate that I waited so long to go back and hope that I can go back and visit on many more occasions before the consolidation. It should be interesting to see the transition, since our school will be consolidated with our rival school.

It was a wonderful birthday and I'm thankful that I was able to spend half the day with my family and the other half with old friends. Maybe I'll make it a birthday tradition.

3 comments:

Misty said...

it sounds great. that was a very thoughtful thing for him to do!

Anonymous said...

So glad you were able to celebrate is such a fun way. Happy Birthday!

gail@more than a song said...

Hope you had a good birthday! And it's close to your daughters day too huh?
I thought we were the only ones with December and early Jan birthdays! Makes it a bit harder for shopping.