Saturday, February 7, 2009

Women At Home

Two Christmases ago, we bought the girls matching books, Verses of Virtue: The Poetry and Prose of Christian Womanhood. Periodically, Caroline will come to me and want to read a poem she has come across that she really likes. A few nights ago, while I was making supper, she came and wanted to read one to me and I absolutely fell in love with it. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did.

Women At Home by Rev. T. DeWitt Talmage, D.D.

Thank God, O women, for the quietude of your home, and that you are queen in it. Men come at eventide to the home; but all day long you are there, beautifying it, sanctifying it, adorning it, blessing it. Better be there than wear a queen's coronet. Better be there than carry the purse of a princess. It may be a very humble home. There may be no carpet on the floor. There may be no pictures on the wall. There may be no silks in the wardrobe; but, by your faith in God, and your cheerful demeanor, you may garniture that place with more splendor than the upholsterer's hand ever kindled.

 

 

1 comments:

Misty said...

Beautiful! this book sounds wonderful!