Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Ten On Tuesday #3

10 High School Memories
  1. The many track meets, basketball games, and cross-country running events I participated in. My fondest memory is my senior year at the state track meet, winning the 3200 meter event. I think being involved in sports is what kept me out of trouble during high school.
  2. Mrs. Hutchinson, my high school English teacher. I loved English and she always had such a wonderful attitude. She was always very chipper.
  3. Gym class....who didn't love gym class! LOL! I really did love it. Mrs. Berta was the gym teacher and she was very serious and strict about her class. Since I was an athlete at heart, I loved that she was so serious. She had to be in her 60s when I was in high school. She retired about 5 years after I graduated.
  4. Friday night football games. Since I come from a small hometown, these were great. Everyone knew each other and it was a great time to get together with the whole town and cheer on our Dawgs!
  5. Drivers Ed class....I'll never forget driving and almost running a stop sign. I didn't because the DE teacher slammed on the brakes! LOL! I still crack up whenever I think about that one! I wanted to throw up when he slammed them on but I didn't! We never discussed that incident and he passed me! He passed away this year, unexpectedly.
  6. Coach J...he was my basketball coach, track coach, and cross-country coach. He also lived up the hill from me. Since my parents were divorced when I was about 7, Coach J. was more like a dad to me through high school. He was a great source of encouragement. His wife is one of the nicest people you'll ever meet too.
  7. Again, senior year at the state basketball finals. We were beat in the first round by one point. It was still an awesome experience though! My first season on the basketball team I was an eighth grader. I was on the varsity basketball team and we had 6 members! No one else wanted to play I guess! We went 0-22 that year!
  8. Lunch. Yep, you heard me! I loved those cardboard hamburgers! Plus, being at lunch meant no being in class! LOL!
  9. Burger Shack....this was a little greasy spoon at the bottom of the hill from the high school. They had good food and I loved going there after practice and getting a peanut butter milkshake! Yummy!
  10. Graduation Day...I was glad to get out of school because I felt it was a colossal waste of time. I only went to school to socialize and I sure didn't care about keeping up passing grades. If I could go back to that time, I'd have my nose in books all the time. I never applied myself. I always did enough to get by and that was it. As a matter of fact, it sure would have been nice to have been homeschooled!

Visit Ten On Tuesday to see more lists!

6 comments:

Robin Green said...

I'm from a tiny town too--so small we didn't even have football and neither did anyone around us. Loved your high school memories. I was never into sports though--I was one of the band/choir/drama people! If you had been homeschooled, you would have had your nose in the books--for sure! That's what we do!!!!

Jenny said...

I had no idea you were such an athlete! I knew you were a sports nut...wow!! I'm so impressed with you!!! Even though you are evil and call everyone's attention to my bed that is not made u p...sheesh!

Anonymous said...

Great memories! I wasn't into an extra curricular activities but you sure made it sound fun, LOL.

Robin Green said...

You cracked me up with your version of PE! I hope you will feel better soon!

Anonymous said...

You've been tagged!! Come see!

Shawna said...

I think about some of my favorite teachers on occassion, too. I can't believe you only had 6 members on your basketball team and ended up being so good!!

I loved the hamburgers, too:) Great memories!!