Thursday, May 31, 2007

The Book Closest to Me

Unless the husband is sinning or asking his wife or others to sin, after an appeal is made, the wife must assume that his final decision is God's will for her at the moment--even if she must suffer for the sake of righteousness.

This sentence is taken from Martha Peace's The Excellent Wife. The context of this sentence is found in the chapter called God's Provision: Resources for the Wife's Protection. It directly refers to a wife making a biblical appeal. I am currently doing a Bible study with a couple of gals using this book. I don't want to comment directly on this subject since I have not read this part of the book yet. I'll comment after I've finished the book though! I will say that so far, the book has proven helpful to me. It is full of things that I already know but it has caused me to stop and really ponder how I can be "the excellent wife" to my husband. This book answers that question very simply by quoting tons of Scripture that refer to our job as wives.

I guess you're wondering why I'm telling you this, right? I should have mentioned that first! Well, I saw this meme over at Corrie's and I wanted to play along. If you'd like to play along, please do. Here are the rules:

1. Grab the book closest to you.
2. Open it to page 161.
3. Find the fifth full sentence.
4. Post the text of the sentence to your blog.
*Don't search around for the coolest book you have, use the one that is really next to you.*
I’ll leave the tagging to you…play if you want and let me know if you do,so I can come read yours.

Have fun!



post signature

4 comments:

Amberly said...

Hi! I came to you from Baseballs and Bows. You have a cute blog! I've read The Excellent Wife and I thought it was very good. Unfortunately, I probably should go back and read it b/c I don't always put into practice what I read! :)

Shawna said...

To be honest, that verse is a little hard for me to swallow. I like to be in control!! But, I have a very loving and smart husband. And God is unltimately the One in control! What a great book for the meme!

Corrie said...

I haven't read this book, but it sounds good! I'll be interested in hearing your commentary when you are done with the study! There is nothing like going through a good book with the girls...glad you played along!

Jenn @ Knee-Deep in Munchkin Land said...

Congratulations Sonya! You won the free blog design giveaway from my blog. Please send me your email address at biggest_blessings (at) yahoo (dot) com. I need to get this from you so I can give Susie, the designer, all of your contact information. Congrats again!

And that is a wonderful sentence. It's a great reminder for all of us strong-willed women. =) I need to practice trusting my husband; after all, he has our best interests in mind. Doesn't he?! =)