Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Almost Tree Time

We normally get our Christmas tree the day after Thanksgiving. We spend the rest of the weekend decorating it and our home. The kids really get into it and love to help me put the Christmas lights on the tree. This usually takes a long time because we have to sort the lights, change the bad bulbs, and then string them on the tree. I get really tired of having to replace bulbs each year. This year, I think we are going to invest in LED Christmas lights.

I was amazed to find out that LED lights use 90% less energy than regular bulbs. Wow! We usually keep our lights up from Thanksgiving to the first week of January. Imagine how much energy I'll be saving in these few months just by switching to these type of lights. Another thing that amazes me is the bulb life. Normal lights have a bulb life of 1500 hours. LED lights last for 50,000 hours! These lights also remain cool which makes them much safer than incandescent lights. LED lights are more expensive but if you compare the price over time it balances out.

I'm very excited and can't wait to drag out all of our Christmas decor. I'm looking forward to putting out all my little snowmen and putting lights all over the outside of the house. If I'm not decorating, you'll find me cooking. How about you? Do you like to decorate your home for the holidays? Do you use LED lights and if so, what do you think of them?



post signature

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the info. When mine start dying out, I will replace them with these!

gail@more than a song said...

I don't use those, but guess that would be a good thing to go to when ours go out.
A few years ago we had an unpleasant event with the tree we got at a tree farm, were going out of town for Christmas so I talked hubby into a silk/artificial tree and we can put it away with the lights on it! And leave it up a long time, so probably no going back now! Don't hate me!