Tuesday, November 6, 2007

A Few Random Thoughts

I'm really trying to stop whining over this oral surgery thing but I am so ready to be back to normal. I'm still not able to chew food and half my mouth is still numb. I was freaking out so much yesterday that I called the oral surgeon's office to see if this is normal. All of my bottom teeth, half of my tongue, and my left jaw is still so numb that if I try to chew, I bite myself. Honestly, I was ready to have a break down yesterday. I wanted to cry. My diet has been so pitiful since having this done. It's been either a liquid diet or mushy food. I hardly remember what meat tastes like. And it's starting to get to me. Especially since Tuesday nights are cheese and bacon pizza night for myself and the girls! We've started eating this every Tuesday night for supper since hubby is away at bagpipe practice. I R~E~A~L~L~Y miss that yummy pizza. What makes it even harder is that I have one in the freezer that is ready to be put into the oven and gobbled up. After all, it is Tuesday. Sigh....

Maybe I could have let it all go if I hadn't got up this morning to find that we have no water. None, nada, zip. In fact, it's almost 5pm and we still have no water. Have you ever gone all day without a shower? It's not a nice feeling. Apparently there was a main water break nearby and that's why the water is out. Most conveniences I could do without, but water, that isn't one of them. It's amazing how much you need water when you don't have access to it. I never realized how hard it is without it.

Since I've been out of commission, so to speak, for the past week, I've found it really hard to cook a meal. It's mostly because I can't taste much. It doesn't give me much incentive to want to make a meal because I know I'm not going to be able to eat it. The girls have been helping me in the kitchen during this time and our oldest has taken up most of the slack. She doesn't "really cook" many things and that's my fault. Most of the time, I'm more worried with keeping things cleaned up than I am about teaching my daughters to cook a meal. I have a system and it works well so it's hard for me to stop being so picky and let the girls have free reign to create their masterpiece of a meal. This is something I'm working on and I know it's a huge sin that needs to be conquered. After all, my goal is to teach my girls to be keepers of the home. I was thrilled when I found a wonderful series on this very thing over at Kathy's place. She has since turned the series into a wonderful e-book that is very reasonably priced. I found it very helpful and very convicting. What did I learn? I learned what I already knew but needed to hear from someone else. My biggest problem is my attitude. Why would I expect my girls to enjoy being in the kitchen when I have a terrible attitude? If things aren't done a certain way, I complain about it. I know better than to do this but many times it comes out of my mouth before I even know it. Sin is funny that way. Just when you think you have a handle on it, here it comes as strong as ever. So, what do I plan to do about it? I'm going to take Kathy's advice and be deliberate about having the girls help me where meals are concerned. I'm going to take the time to show them how to make a few of our favorite dishes and the most efficient way to do so. I'm going to stop worrying about having a tidy kitchen all the time because after all, who am I trying to impress? My family sure won't mind the mess if it means that they'll be able to sit down to a delicious meal that we've made together. In fact, I think I'll go get started on this now......if we have water.



post signature

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cheese can Bacon Pizza? Yum! Do y'all make it homemade? I'm so sorry you're missing out tonight. That stinks!

I can totally understand about your issues with the girls being in the kitchen. I'm cut from that same old. I have a tough time letting *my space* get invaded by others, LOL.

Yeah, I felt awful for at least 2 weeks afterwards. I was hoping you wouldn't feel so bad. I'm so sorry! ((((HUGS))))

ZAM said...

Ruefully I must admit that I have an attitude too. And that's why I prefer doing things on my own, rather than letting others do it for me. (And that's to keep me from complaining)...Haaaay! I'll try to work on that. :D

BTW, i hope you're feeling better now. That's tought that you have to be on liquid diet when there's lots of yummy food out there. :D

jenn said...

That pizza sounds so yummy! I wish your mouth felt better. Did they say it was normal when you called?
I love when my kids want to get in the kitchen and cook. My son has gotten really good with certain things, and enjoys being able to make stuff for himself and his sisters. The girls haven't showed an interst yet, but when they do, I'll be ready.
Again, feel better soon!

gail@more than a song said...

I'm so sorry you've had dental stuff done and aren't feeling good, and having trouble eating too, yikes! Hope you're better with it all now. I'd hate to miss that pizza too, sounds good.....homemade?

Mary P Jones (MPJ) said...

I'm just catching up on my blog reading and wanted to say sorry you went through oral surgery -- that's painful stuff!