Sunday, March 2, 2008

Movie Review Sunday

I've only got a couple to tell you about this week. As always, if you've got movies to review, sign mr. linky below so I can come visit.

~Evelyn ~

Synopsis: Desmond Doyle is devastated when his wife abandons their family on the day after Christmas. His unemployment and the fact that there is no woman in the house to care for the children, Evelyn, Dermot and Maurice, make it clear to the authorities that his is an untenable situation. The Catholic Church and the Irish courts decide to put the Doyle children into Church-run orphanages. Although a sympathetic judge assures Desmond that when his financial situation reverses, he will be able to get his children back; money is hard to come by. During that time, Evelyn and her brothers suffer the abuses of living in orphanages while Desmond struggles to secure finances. Now he must battle the courts to get his children back.

***My Review***

Pierce Bronsan did a wonderful job as Desmond Doyle. When Desmond finds himself abandoned by his wife and without work, the Irish government places his children in an orphanage. His daughter Evelyn is treated cruelly but remains confident about her father's return to take her away from this place. Evelyn is a wonderful example of faith and hope and I fell in love with her character.

When Desmond finds work and gets himself back on track, he returns to retrieve his children only to find that the Irish government will not allow it. Because of a clause in the law, Desmond's runaway wife must sign papers that will allow the children to come home. Desmond takes on the government in order to put his family back together. I can't say much more without giving away the story but Desmond's journey is one of courage and love. We loved this film.

~The Hoax~

Synopsis: Early in 1971, McGraw-Hill passes on Clifford Irving's new novel. He's desperate for money, so, against the backdrop of Nixon's reelection calculations, Irving claims he has Howard Hughes's cooperation to write Hughes's autobiography. With the help of friend Dick Suskind, Irving does research, lucks into a manuscript written by a long-time Hughes associate, and plays on corporate greed. He's quick-thinking and outrageously bold. Plus, he banks on Hughes's reluctance to enter the public eye. At the same time, he's trying to rebuild his marriage and deflect the allure of his one-time mistress, Nina Van Pallandt. Can he write a good book, take the money, and pull off the hoax?

***My Review***

I have to admit that I was not in the mood to watch this last night. However, I'm glad hubby insisted. This is a strange role for Richard Gere but he is very convincing as Clifford Irving. Gere is one of my favorite actors and I love his versatility. I was fascinated with Irving's ability to convince a publishing house to publish a book under these strange circumstances. I'm still fascinated with Howard Hughes' ability to remain incognito for such a long time. This movie won't be for all of you. It worked for me because I love to read biographies. That's what this film felt like to me.

~The Heartbreak Kid ~

I'm not even going to link to this one. We watched it without reviewing it first and it was just wrong. I have nothing good to say about it. There were a few funny moments but overall, I would not recommend it.

That's all for this week. Remember to sign Mr. Linky if you've got movie reviews to share.

post signature

4 comments:

gail@more than a song said...

I've had Evelyn on my list for quite some time now! Am going to have to move it up closer to the top of my netflix queue.

She Became a Butterfly said...

Hi. I found you off the TBR list. A friend and I just started a book lovers message board & I wanted to invite you to join.

Eden
http://www.re-told.net

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the reviews. We haven't seen any of those!

Shawna said...

I just watched Blonde Ambition, a new straight to DVD movie starring Jessica Simpson and Luke Wilson. Her role was similar to her real life persona, so she did a better acting job. But, the movie was still lacking. I thought I would give it a try since it was a romantic comedy. I don't really recommend it.

I haven't heard of the Evelyn one. Sounds like it could be a tear jerker.